Closing a bank account used to be a cumbersome process that often required a visit to your bank’s physical branch. However, with the advancement of technology and the convenience of online banking, there are now various methods to Close a bank account without going to bank. In this article, we will explore the easiest ways to close your bank account, whether it’s at large institutions like Wells Fargo, Bank of America, US Bank, Chase Bank, JPMorgan Chase, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, or smaller banks, as well as the estimated time it takes to complete the process.
How to close a bank account without going to bank?
Some time ago, if we had to close our bank account, we had to go to the bank. But now it is not so, some banks have launched services through which you can close your bank account sitting at home. We mention similar new techniques in our blog Kabbage Loan Guide. In our previous article, we told you how to get out of a one-year lease early without penalty. Similarly, in this article, we will tell you how to close a bank account without going to bank. So let’s start the article.
Before starting the article, let us tell you that there are many banks in the United States of America whose bank accounts you can close online from the comfort of your home. And there are some banks whose savings accounts will require you to go to their home branch to close them. So let’s discuss this in detail and also answer many other questions related to it. Some of which we have given below.
- What is the easiest way to close a bank account?
- Is it necessary to visit home branch for account closure?
- Can we close the bank account online?
- How to close a bank account without going to bank?
- How long does it take to close a bank account?
- How to close a Wells Fargo account online?
- How to close a Bank of America account online?
- How to close a US bank account online?
- How to close a Chase Bank account online?
- How to close a JPMorgan Chase account online?
- How to close a Citibank account online?
- How to close a Goldman Sachs account online?
What is the Easiest Way to Close a Bank Account?
As of November 2, 2023, closing a bank account is never as simple as opening one because when we open an account, bank employees assist us. However, when it comes to closing a bank account, they may not provide the same level of assistance. Therefore, the process can be a bit complex. There are several ways to close a bank account, such as making a phone call to the bank or sending an email.
Additionally, if you use online banking, you can also close your bank account through the online banking portal. However, the most straightforward and traditional method is to physically visit the bank and fill out a physical form, which results in an instant closure of your account. If we look at it from today’s perspective, the easiest way to close a bank account is online, allowing us to close our bank account from the comfort of our home.
Is It Necessary to Visit the Home Branch for Account Closure?
In the United States, the necessity of visiting the home branch for account closure depends on the specific bank you have your account with. While most banks in the United States do offer online account closure services, some banks may have policies that do not allow for online closure.
So, whether or not you need to visit your bank’s home branch to close your account depends on the policies and procedures of the bank where your account is held. It’s essential to check with your specific bank to understand their requirements and options for account closure.
Can We Close the Bank Account Online?
Yes, many banks offer the option to close a bank account online. The exact process and requirements may differ from one bank to another, so it’s important to understand your specific bank’s procedures.
How to Close a Bank Account Without Going to Bank?
If you want to Close a bank account without going to Bank, then first of all you will have to call your bank and find out whether the online account closure application is accepted in that bank or not. At present online account closure is accepted in every state of the United States of America and in almost all the banks.
If your bank accepts an online account closure application, then you will have to close your account online by choosing any of the methods given below.
To close your bank account without visiting the bank, you can follow these steps:
- Check with Your Bank: Start by contacting your bank’s customer service or helpline. Inquire if they accept online account closure applications. In the United States, most banks in every state offer this option.
- Choose an Online Closure Method: If your bank offers online account closure, you have several methods to choose from:
a. Phone Call: You can call your bank’s helpline to initiate the account closure process. The customer service representative will guide you through the necessary steps.
b. Email Notification: Alternatively, you can inform your bank via email that you wish to close your account. Ensure that you provide all the required details and follow any instructions they provide.
c. Online Banking: If you use online banking, you can often close your account through your bank’s website or mobile app. Look for the account closure option in your online banking portal.
d. Paper Application Form: Some banks allow you to fill out a paper account closure application form, sign it, and send it to the bank through postal mail. This method can be used if you prefer a physical document for account closure.
Be sure to follow your bank’s specific procedure, and the method you choose may depend on your preferences and the options provided by your bank.
Please note that the ability to close your account without visiting the bank depends on whether your bank accepts online account closure applications. Be sure to verify this with your bank to proceed accordingly.
How Long Does It Take to Close a Bank Account?
The time it takes to close a bank account depends on the method you used to submit the bank account closure application. If you filled out an online account closure application form, your bank account is typically closed within approximately four days. However, if you visit the physical bank branch to provide a bank account closure application, your account will be closed according to your request.
If you wish to have it closed instantly, it can be done within a few hours. In some cases, if it takes longer, your bank account should be closed within a week.
How to Close a Wells Fargo Account Online?
To close a Wells Fargo account online, you can follow these steps:
How to Close a Bank of America Account Online?
As of the latest update in November 2023, Bank of America has not initiated the acceptance of online account closure applications due to security purposes. If any updates become available after November 2023, we will inform you accordingly.
So, if you wish to close your Bank of America account, you will need to visit a Bank of America branch. There, you will be required to submit a physical account closure application, and within a few days, your bank account will be successfully closed. Please note that, as of the current information available, the bank does not offer an online method for closing accounts.
How to Close a US Bank Account Online?
To close a US Bank account online, you can follow these steps:
- Phone: If you have a personal account to close, please call 800-USBANKS (872-2657). For business account closure, dial 800-673-3555. You can speak with a customer service representative who will guide you through the account closure process and provide any necessary instructions.
- Branch: Alternatively, you have the option to visit any U.S. Bank branch in person to close your account. A bank representative will be available to assist you with the necessary paperwork and ensure a smooth account closure.
By following one of these methods, you can effectively close your US Bank account without the need to visit the bank in person.
How to Close a Chase Bank Account Online?
To close your Chase Bank account online, follow these steps:
- Log onto the Chase online banking website using your credentials.
- Navigate to the Secure Message Center within your online banking account.
- Compose a message requesting the closure of your Chase Bank account. Ensure that you provide all the necessary information, including your account number and any specific instructions you have.
- Send the message, and you should expect a response within approximately 2 working days. The bank may follow up with additional questions to verify your identity and understand the reason for closing the account.
- After the necessary correspondence, Chase Bank will provide you with confirmation that your account has been successfully closed.
How to Close a JPMorgan Chase Account Online?
To close a JPMorgan Chase account online, follow these steps:
- Visit the Chase Official Website: Start by visiting the official JPMorgan Chase website (www.chase.com).
- Log into your Chase online banking: Login to your online banking account using your username and password. Ensure that you have access to the account you wish to close.
- Navigate to the Secure Message Center: Once you’ve logged in, navigate to the Secure Message Center. This is where you can securely communicate with Chase customer support.
- Click on “New message”, select “Account Inquiry” for the topic, and choose “Close my account” for the subtopic to specify your request. In the message, provide the necessary information, such as your account number and the reason for closing the account. Ensure that you follow any additional instructions provided by the bank.
How to Close a Citibank Account Online?
To close a Citibank account online, follow these steps:
- Sign On to Citi Online: Log in to your Citibank Online account using your username and password.
- Click ‘Services’: Once you’ve logged in, navigate to the ‘Services’ section.
- Select ‘Account Services’ in the drop-down menu: From the ‘Services’ menu, choose ‘Account Services’ from the drop-down options.
- Select ‘Close your Deposits Account’: Under ‘Account Services,’ look for the option to close your deposits account and select it. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the closure process.
How to Close a Goldman Sachs Account Online?
To close your Goldman Sachs Online Savings Account online, follow these steps:
- Contact Customer Care Team: You can initiate the account closure process by reaching out to the Goldman Sachs Customer Care Team. You can call them at 0800 085 6789 if you’re in the UK, or +44 203 901 3353 if you’re calling from abroad.
- Request Account Closure: When you speak with a customer care representative, inform them of your intention to close your Online Savings Account. They will guide you through the process and provide the necessary steps.
- Provide Required Information: During the call, you may need to provide information to verify your identity and your account, such as your account number, personal identification details, and answers to security questions.
- Withdraw or Transfer Funds: Before closing your account, ensure that you have withdrawn or transferred any remaining funds to another account to bring your account balance to zero.
- Return Debit Cards and Checks: If your Online Savings Account has associated debit cards or checks, follow Goldman Sachs’ instructions for returning them or disposing of them properly.
- Confirm Closure: Once the account closure process is completed, request written confirmation from the customer care representative to verify that your account has been officially closed. This confirmation can be useful for your records.
Closing a bank account without visiting the bank in person is now possible due to the convenience of online banking. Different banks have varying procedures for account closure, so it’s crucial to check with your specific bank to understand their process. By following the outlined steps and fulfilling any requirements, you can successfully close your bank account, whether it’s at a major institution or a smaller local bank.
You will typically need your account number, personal identification, and the ability to provide written notice or complete the required online forms.
Closing a joint bank account online may require consent from all account holders. It's essential to check with your bank's specific requirements and ensure all parties are in agreement.
The fees and penalties for closing a bank account can vary depending on your bank and the terms of your account. Review your account agreement to understand any potential costs associated with early termination.
Return any checks and debit cards associated with the account to your bank or follow their instructions for proper disposal to ensure they are no longer in use.
Request written confirmation from your bank to verify that your account is officially closed. Continue monitoring the account for any unexpected fees or transactions to ensure it remains closed.
Thanks for your visit.
(Close a bank account without going to bank)